Wednesday, April 6, 2016

[Meatless] Spinach Lasagna


[Meatless] Spinach Lasagna
Author: Bold. Healthy. Homemade.
Recipe type: Dinner
Prep time:  5
Cook time:  45 
Total time:  50 
Serves: 6

I find that I don't usually crave pasta dishes, I know, I know... my husband thinks I'm crazy too! However, every once in a while there is nothing I want more than a delicious, cheesy slice of Lasagna. This recipe is simple, meatless, and packed with vitamins from the spinach. It satisfies those cheesy desires, without leaving you feeling weighed down.  This recipe serves about 6 portions. 




INGREDIENTS
  • 4 generous cups of fresh Spinach
  • 3 cloves of Garlic
  • 1 Egg
  • Lasagna Noodles (boiled until almost soft) (I used Bionature- Whole Wheat)
  • pinch of salt
  • pinch of fresh ground pepper
  • 1 1/2 Cups Ricotta Cheese (check out my super easy, 3 ingredient, homemade ricotta cheese recipe here: Homemade Ricotta)
  • 1 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
  • 1 cup Red Pasta Sauce
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Place spinach, garlic, salt, and pepper into a food processor (or blender) and blend the mixture until the spinach is chopped and there are no large pieces of garlic. If you are having a hard time getting it to blend, add a little water (I used about 1/4 cup).
  2. Gently fold the ricotta, mozzarella and egg, salt and pepper into the spinach/garlic mixture until combined.
  3. Assemble your Lasagna
  • Begin by putting a couple spoon full of pasta sauce in the bottom of your pan, followed by a layer of noodles.
  • Spoon a layer of spinach/ricotta mix on top of the noodles (use just enough to cover the noodles-I used around 1/4 cup), followed by a couple spoons full of pasta sauce. Place another layer of noodles on top of the sauce and continue to layer the cheese/sauce/noodles until you reach the top of the pan or run out of filling. Top with a small sprinkle of mozzarella. 
4.  Bake in 325 degree oven (uncovered) for about 45 minutes. 
  • If you find that it is drying out, cover the dish with tin foil, however due to the amount of moisture in the cheese and spinach, I found it better to leave it uncovered the entire time it baked.
  • After the Lasagna bakes, I always find it best to let it cool for about 10 minutes. This will help it to set up, making it easier to serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment